Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite single malt?
Chocolate is my favorite malted. Just when I was thinking I was going to be left out of this discussion completely.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I will only drink a malted if it is prepared by HK. The one malted that I had prepared by a commercial outfit had a live bug in it. Guess how I found the live bug?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
So, The Yeti remembers my malts, eh? And I just recently brought my malt maker out of the dark recesses of storage to indoctrinate Benzilla! Next time you're over, bring some vanilla ice cream and we'll do some home brewin'!

Oh, and by the way: Aaaarrr!
And why PPFY didn't go into a rage worthy of the Hulk, I'll never know.

Shouldn't this thread now be moved to our food section? Because Single Malts are food. In fact, it's one of the basic food groups, yes?

But back on topic, back to Anchor Brewery, LAP80 Productions (another nefarious organization with which DM is affiliated) is proud to announce the 7th Annual Rock Med Anchor Brewery Tour, Friday February 1st, 2008. If you've never toured the brewery, here's your chance. It's a sacred piece of S.F. history, one that will make you proud. Anchor is an institution. For six years, it's been the mission of Rock Med to drink the brewery dry. We've always failed, so I'm soliciting your help. Unfortunately, we won't be touring the distillery or have access to any of that, but all the beers will be flowing. We'll be able to sample all night long. If you want to come, give me a holler and I'll put you on the list as a friend of Rock Med. Seriously, this is good fun, just bring your own DD.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
So weird...I'm going to be in SF for Mac Expo next week. I have to be there to do setup on Monday, so I made a tour reservation for the three people on the setup crew. We're going to take a long lunch...

Big Grin

I'm really interested in the distillery, more than the beer. I hope the tour has some tastings of that fare...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/anchordistilling.htm">http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/a ... illing.htm</a><!-- m -->

--tg
Tom is a good buddy of mine - say 'hi' for me. He's an avid music fan, so you'll have plenty to talk about. If you look on the walls of the bar, you'll see Rock Med's honorary plaque, assuming they haven't taken it down to make room for more Janis pics. It used to hang behind the bar on the brewery side of the bar.

I'm told the distillery is actually in the building across the street and is inaccessible to tourists like us. At the prices they charge for the distilled spirits, there's no tasting of them.

Enjoy that lunch - I recommend the bock highly.
And guess what? It looks like I'm going to be a DD. Go figure.

Not sure if LB will show, he's been working like a dog I hear, but I'm hoping. If any of you are in the 'hood, drop by for a drink. Just say your one of my frat brothers at the door (assuming anyone even asks).
Whiskies of the World Expo was last night here in Da City. Attending was HK and m'self, along with a very large cast of nerds and assorted yuppie tools. Nerds were dominant.

It was held on the San Francisco Belle, a permanently moored ferry boat at Pier 3. Bottom deck was all food (buffet style) and the second and third decks were whiskies and spirits, along with some artisinal cheeses, etc.. Irish "Whiskies" were consigned to a small leaky dingy floating about thirty feet away from the dock.

Not as many of the big distilleries as in past years, but HK and I were undaunted in our tippling. Best of show was a 25 year old Caol Ila bottled by McKillip's Choice. I think it was casked in 1979. HK will correct me if I'm wrong. There was also a really interesting single barrel ("Premier Barrel" from Douglas Laing) cask-strength that may have been yet another Caol Ila, but I am not sure. It was our last drink and I was getting a little vague about then.

Honorable mentions: Talisker Distiller's Edition, MacKillip's Glen Ord 1983, and the Bowmore 18 year. Special nod to the strong showing from Ardbeg - they are all very good.

Will the Queen attend next year? Definitely her kinda show. <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.celticmalts.com">www.celticmalts.com</a><!-- w -->
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Highland Park - a 12 year single malt available at TJ's for $35 - is extremely mediocre. I was tempted by the name, which evoked the legendary Castle Highland, foogy home to three DOOM brothers (although not at the same time), a location which has returned to the mists, or perhaps been recalled by aliens, but still holds fond memories and a large dollop of mental scars. You may be inclined to buy it because it's cheap and Michael Jackson recommends it on the cool bottle box (the alcohol expert, not jacko) but I've had this bottle through SNWMF & RR where decent liqour gets inhaled and I'm still working on killing it. It's warming and has a nice start but there's a metallic undertone that runs through the middle and finish which spoils it.

With the economy tanking, I may be forced to return to the cheapskate pleasures of JD.
Dinna do it, laddie! Y cannae gae back tae th Jay-Dee! If ya mus be..."thrifty", then ye should be drinking th' Grant's from TJ's.

Some Highland Park's are outstanding (their 18 is verrrrrry nice) but if it is "character" yer after, stick to the Islay's. Buncha Vikings in Orkney making whisky...daft, I tell ya, daft! TJ usually has a Bowmore Double-Cask around. Tha's a guid un!
...Really?! Hmm, I'll give Highland Park another try. Maybe it was a bad batch that was pawned off on TJ's. I do like the cool bottle box.
If you like MacAllan or or any of the Highland whiskies...well, I think Highland Park ranks right up there. You may need a more mature whisky, however...

I have an ill-behaved 10 year-old right here; cask-strength MacAllan. Dark, strong, a bit raw, not subtle. Churlish, even.

To your health, Gentlemen! Cheers!

-Y
I know that there is often a "swag" thread after Xmas, but since I receive gifts from the students (or tha parents of the students) early, I thought I would share the important stuff here:

Lagavulin 16 Year (Classic peaty malt)
Laphroaig Quarter-Cask (lights up your entire mouth; HK will remember this one as I brought it to the last Burn's Night)
Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (aka: "The Beast") Another complex Islay. I like the Islays best of all since I don't have a refined palate and they are complex and not subtle.

I so mean "share" quite literally: you are all invited over to drink my whisky! I can't drink all of this by myself, ya know.
we'd come over friday if you'd buy some goddamn curtains and weren't so old and weak. :roll:
Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote:I so mean "share" quite literally: you are all invited over to drink my whisky! I can't drink all of this by myself, ya know.

I'm on my way. Oh, wait -- I've got dogs and cats to take care of. Dang. Some other time.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.