The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
What's your favorite single malt? - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Food (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: What's your favorite single malt? (/showthread.php?tid=428)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

What's your favorite single malt? - King Bob - 06-15-2006

What? Why? Your feelings on a particular region?

Ahhh, at last a thread with some real value!!! - Drunk Monk - 06-15-2006

My current fav is Hotaling's because I'm proud to live in the SF Bay Area, and I have a buddy who is a brewmaster at Anchor. Unfortunately I can't afford it and my buddy can't afford to kick those down. Still hoping tho. Father's Day is coming up...

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/oldpotrero_hotaling.htm

If, as they say, God spanked the town
For being over frisky,
Why did He burn the churches down
And save Hotaling's whiskey?

Not a connosir -- conno -- hic -- expert, but... - The Queen - 06-15-2006

...I remember a very pleasant evening with a couple of good friends and bottle of Glenmorangie.

And FWIW, there's a bottle of 12-year-old Glenlivet (well it was 12 when it was bottled, it's a wee bit older now, been sitting in my cabinet for a while) for anyone who manages to find his way down to Doom South.

It's the Islay - King Bob - 06-15-2006

For me, it's the Islay. Bowmore is probably my favorite. I love the peatiness. I even like the intense Laphroig. The Highlanders just can't compare. I can't really comment on the Speyside.

Hm. - Haggis Killer - 06-17-2006

Favorite. So many to choose from. I've tried the Hotalings, too. It burned as bad as any Jack Daniels I've ever tried. Still, a nice local thought. Not Scotch, however. Cause it ain't in Scotland. Yes it does matter. It's the water!

Let's see... Bowmore.... the Bowmore 17 was the first good bottle of Scotch I ever had. Got it for providing a wedding service. Still a soft spot in my heart for that one. Dalwhinnie, because I shopped in their distillery and picked up a very nice bottle with a blue label that they don't ship elsewhere. Then there's the Talisker cask strength that I picked up on Skye. That's a winner, let me tell ya. Woof! All the 'classic malts' are winners, even if it is a marketing gimmick: Oban, Cragganmore, Talisker, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Lagavulin. Nice & peaty, the last. Then there's the Glendronach. Of which, I have to say, the bottle I bought in Scotland was amazing, and a bottle I bought here was less than stellar. Don't understand that one at all.

That's the short list. And now if you'll excuse me, I have to go brag about my stock performance to the other gentlemen hereabouts.

- Dr. Ivor Yeti - 06-18-2006

Hmmmm...my default is usually Talisker. OI like the peatiness and the distillery was in a beautiful setting. It tastes like Scotland smells.

Bowmore 30 (no typo) was something special, but I'll never have another bottle of that again. Ditto Glen Garioch cask strength from 1967 (which was as dark as DM's soul) and a bottle o Balvenie from 1966. Those last two came to me via a friend who divorced her asshole husband whose only good quality was his taste in whiskey.
Yup; I enjoyed that divorce.

Got some good stuff here in the old cabinet right now, and you are all invited over.

PPFY, ZY

I bow in awe... - King Bob - 06-19-2006

before the mighty Yeti and the Haggis Killer, as an obvious neophyte. But the learning is pleasant, so I don't mind. I just need to make more money!

Naw, just find a friend going through a divorce - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 06-19-2006

or you can go here and taste EVERYTHING!!!

Whiskies of the World Expo 8th Annual
Saturday April 14th 2007
The Palace Hotel
SAN FRANCISCO

All info on <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.celticmalts.com">www.celticmalts.com</a><!-- w -->
Our phone: 888.748.2400

$95.00/ticket (yes, but free whiskey all night LONG!!!!). Went to two of these (another friend with extra tickets, but I would definitely pay to go next year).

Every major and dozens of minor distillers are there pouring samples of their wears for free. This could be a DOOM outing. I had some trouble walking home after the last one.

Went to a MacCallan Rare Cask tasting there a couple of years back. Five whiskeys featured in five glasses on each table, one from every decade from 1930 to 1970. Color was anywhere from DM's Soul to a light heather (like a Dahlwinnie). They were each smooth (mostly sherry cask finishes, so slightly sweet) but one was a American Oak finish (lightest color, least sweet). Some were more complex than others, and all were very good, but I guess my palate is not developed enough to discern why I would want to pay $6000.00/bottle (for the 1930).

I enjoyed the Old Potrero Rye Whiskey from Anchor Distillery. It was made from the first documented American whisky recipe and compared favorably to Jameson, but with just a little rougher edge.

KB, HK, find if you can Iain Bank's book Raw Spirit. It is the definitive Scottish road-trip and whiskey history from one of Scotlands best writers. Non-fiction and very, very good.

PPFY, ZY, off to count my money with my crusty old monied cronies at my club.

- El Dingo - 06-19-2006

I find the environment in which you are drinking can affect the taste up to 30%.

I like Oban the best, but it may be because that is what we were drinking at the piping competition I attended.

...of the World? - Haggis Killer - 06-19-2006

Oh, I'm in. Saturday, April 14, 2007.

Cab? Bus? Bart? Overnight stay in the city maybe? Or at the Palace Hotel?

In In In!!!

oh the globe trotting yeti - King Bob - 06-23-2006

So casually mentioned, but of course that book is a UK publication. Thank goodness for ABE or I'd be SOL.

ABE be damned! - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 07-01-2006

Borderland Books on Valenica St in SF usually has a copy or two. You want I should get you one?

I feel so left out - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 07-02-2006

And it is all about me.

Can I mention my father's preferred was Glenfyddich until the diabetes kicked in. He did have a couple of green label twenty five year old stuff that I was never supposed to steal for any party. He's also partial to Johny Walker black and Black Bushmill's. I believe it was the Black Bushmills that made the water go black for just a second when you added it.

Diet Coke is still the drink for me. If I drink enough of it, I'm going to get a television. I'm only twenty thousand cases away. It's okay, I have until december to drink that much. don't worry. Doable.

- Dr. Ivor Yeti - 07-03-2006

So, bring the 'Fyddych for the men (something to drink while we are counting our money and spitting on the commoners) and the blends for the commoners so they won't mind being spat upon, next time you are coming up to SF. OK? Great!

Las Vegas sucks. - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 07-14-2006

But The Freakin Frog and The Whisky Attic were solid finds. Add Caol Ila and Black Bottle to the list. Both peaty as, well, peat, and quite tasty, but I preferred the Caol Ila. There was a third one, but I can't remember after the mocha porter. And I had a hang-over.

Freakin Frog: Student bar with no decor, action movies on the projection TV, and over 100 beers available. College kids yelling "whoooo!".

Upstairs is The Whisky Attic, and it boasts that it has more whiskies than any place else except Scotland. They have waaaaaay too many bourbons, though, so they don't count.

They are across the street from UNLV if anyone has the misfortune to be there.