Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veg
Come on! CF wins.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(12-06-2020, 07:38 AM)Greg Wrote: Come on! CF wins.

[Image: 1882c2bbc15ce08d6c0f9aa08f6cdf4b.gif]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
CF FTW!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
[Image: 200.gif]
(07-13-2021, 01:16 PM)thatguy Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 05:58 AM)King Bob Wrote: DM - For a veg meal when you're over there, I recommend Falafel Stop across from Fremont HS. Very good. We ate there the other day on recommendation of a friend who teaches at Fremont.

Speaking of vegan recommendations over there, someone at work mentioned this foodtruck:

Quote:Vegan Veganos! is a plant-based, Mexican comfort food truck in your San Jose neighborhood, offering herbivore pick-up and togo menus.

Menu: https://www.toasttab.com/veganveganos-orderonline/v3

Location (it varies): https://www.veganveganos.com/findus

--tg

Y'all know we have a thread just for veg. It's right here. 

I know that Falafel Stop but I haven't eaten there in a while. My mom has a very restricted list of restaurants for me to get her dinners and that one is way too spicy (pretty much everything is too spicy for her nowadays). I think the last time I ate there was when my mom was in rehab for her back operation prior to the pandemic. 

There's some decent Indian food in Svale too, or at least there used to be...also too spicy for my mom.
Did not know this thread existed, probably because I am an omnivore.

I assumed too spicy for your mom, but thought maybe you might grab for yourself. Was a bit spicy for Christina as well. Not me.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I'm pescatarian. Actually, I'm pescatinsectoreptiliarian. Something like that. 

Generally when I'm in svale, I eat with my mom.
Just gwan leave dis 'ere 4 now...

https://www.happy-hooligans.com/locations
Brings back memories of canned veg haggis (or what is cat food?) at ED's...with enough whisky, how would you know?

https://gizmodo.com/vegan-haggises-of-gl...1848022570

Quote:Vegan Haggises of Glasgow, Ranked
Brian Kahn, Molly Taft

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND — Covering United Nations climate talks requires walking. Lots of it. Enough to work up a major appetite.
The best fuel, of course, would be local Scottish specialties. Not brown sauce or deep-fried Mars bars (though that actually sounds great right about now). No, this much walking requires a stick to your ribs type of meal: haggis.

But this being a climate conference, any type of haggis would not do. Raising sheep is one of the most carbon-intensive forms of animal agriculture in the world. Like cows, sheep are ruminants that belch methane in addition to carbon dioxide emissions tied with producing feed, raising them, and transporting them to market.

It’s great that haggis involves using, shall we say, the less desirable parts of the animal. (Though as Molly noted in preparing to write this piece, she “loves to eat animal innards.”) For the uninitiated, haggis is made with suet, a fat that Wikipedia notes is found “around the loins and kidneys.” That suet is then mixed with cooked organ meats, onions, and oats to form a sort of crumbly meat porridge, which is served inside a sheep stomach (whoa) or sausage casing.

But to truly be good denizens of the world’s biggest climate talks, we knew we had to walk the walk and eat veggie haggis. Given the presence of oats and the unique texture, haggis should be easier to create a vegan version than many other meaty foods, but would the absence of the traditional sheep elements make veggie versions too boring? We charted out a walking tour across the Glaswegian streets to sample the vegan haggis three ways.

Stop 1: The Glasvegan
Molly’s first impression: “Fuck!”

The digs: The Glasvegan is a popular stop in the city for vegan food, so we figured if anyone knew how to do veggie haggis well, it’d be these folks. The tiny cafe was packed with other customers and delicious sights and smells (including incredible-looking vegan cake slices). On this menu, haggis comes as fillings to bigger dishes, like sandwiches and crepes. The very nice staff person gently urged us to try a sandwich with vegan haggis, granny smith apples, vegan cheese and caramelized onions, but we insisted on getting our haggis sandwich dry and loose, on toasted sourdough, with no accoutrements or sauces. We were determined to keep our taste test pure. Also, it was our first stop. We were hungry and tired. There was no time to spare waiting for delicious caramelized onions.

How it tasted: Frankly, really good. The crumbly consistency was almost reminiscent of ground turkey, with a hearty backbone from the oats and barley we spotted in the mix. The warm haggis had incredible savory flavors. We tasted some white pepper and a touch of cloves that hung out long after the first chew of haggis. The toasted sourdough was a crunchy accompaniment. It would have probably been wise to add a sauce or cheese to give the whole sandwich a little moisture, but just going on taste of the haggis alone, this was a fantastic start. We would rate this “good before a Rangers FC match” to soak up the beer you’d inevitably consume in the stands and something that “wouldn’t make you feel sick after eating a shit ton of it.”

Stop 2: Stravaigin
Molly’s first impression: “Interesting.”

The digs: The restaurant’s website describes Stravaigin as “a trusted local sanctuary where great food and a friendly pint go hand in hand.” Who could say not a classically prepared haggis in a sanctuary? The restaurant portion was full so we nabbed seats at the cozy bar, where we ordered a plate of veggie haggis—served with the iconic Scottish neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes) accompaniment—and some pints.

How it tasted: This haggis had the same stick-to-your-ribs consistency as the Glasvegan’s and some of the same flavor, but the preparation left something to be desired. Traditional haggis is often boiled to heat it up before serving, and it seemed as if that was the preparation favored here. While it was moister than what we got at the Glasvegan, it was also less flavorful, and more closely resembled freshly-cooked barley with some carrots than anything else. Fake meat may be an acquired taste for some, but watery fake meat is an acquired taste for many. The texture and the flavor felt dialed down to a 4 compared to the Glasvegan’s vegan sheep’s offal, which was at 11. It also managed to be at once soggy and crunchy. We could see why haggis is served with the neeps and tatties—on this cold night, it definitely warmed us up.

Stop 3: The Kent Fish & Chip Shop
Molly’s first impression: “Oh, ho, ho.”

The digs: Our final stop was at a bit of an unexpected location—a takeout (or “takeaway,” in UK-speak) joint serving primarily fish and chips. Brian embarrassingly referred to it as a “choppy,” though frankly not loud enough to be chased out of town by locals. Surprisingly, this location had a huge vegan fast food menu, from vegan fish to vegan meatballs to a vegan burger. Our vegan haggis was served to us deep-fried, on a bed of hefty fries (chips, or chops to Brian), topped with vinegar and a generous serving of salt, then wrapped in paper for us to enjoy at the one picnic table outside. (Molly also ordered vegan black pudding out of morbid curiosity, as well as a separate order of regular haggis and black pudding, all of which were also deep-fried, because she is a masochist.)

How it tasted:
Incredibly, this haggis was a close second to the Glasvegan version. It was bursting with flavor and delightfully filling. We spotted seeds—perhaps pepitas?—in this haggis, which was a first for all three tastings. There also appeared to be millet, another unique addition. The fried exterior actually helped to hold the haggis together, making it easier to eat the crumbly, warm interior, and the salt and vinegar added a terrific zing. We took home leftovers—we sensed that we may need some hearty calories in the days to come at a conference that’s notorious for running into overtime—and have been happily eating leftover veggie haggis sandwiches (with hummus and cucumber) since. It was also much better than the meat version on offer, with Molly declaring the non-vegan one “is going to make me ill” due to the heaviness. (The vegan blood pudding was also great. Would order again!)

--tg
I see your veg haggis and raise you HUFU

Quote:HUFU: THE VEGAN CANNIBAL’S ALTERNATIVE TO HUMAN FLESH
Posted by Charlie Hintz | Cannibal Week

[b]Hufu was a tofu-based product designed to taste like human flesh, providing an alternative meat source for health-conscious cannibals.[/b]
[Image: eat-hufu-human-flesh-alternative.jpg]
[i]Hufu artwork created by Ray Drainville of Ardes[/i]
Hufu founder Mark Nuckols was reading the book [i]Good To Eat: Riddles of Food and Culture[/i] by anthropologist Marvin Harris, while eating a tofurkey sandwich, when the idea came to him: a healthy, vegan alternative to human meat.
Nuckols launched Hufu in 2005, and the initial stock of 144 boxes of Hufu Classic Strips sold out in just two days.
If I had known about it back then, every one of those boxes would have shipped to me. But Hufu, surprisingly, had a bigger market than one random weirdo with a website and an unhealthy interest in cannibalism.
“Hufu was originally conceived of as a product for students of anthropology hungry for the experience of cannibalism but deterred by the legal and logistical obstacles,” the now defunct Eat Hufu website stated. “However, our preliminary market research revealed the existence of a larger segment of the public that was interested in the availability of a legal and healthy human flesh substitute, as well as vegetarians and vegans. We also found that Hufu is a great product for cannibals who want to quit. Hufu is also a great cannibal convenience food — no more Friday night hunting raids! Stay at home and enjoy the flavorful, convenient human flesh alternative.”

[b]“Cannibalism might seem wrong to your hetero-normative, Judeo-Christian culture, but who are we to judge the Aztecs or the indigenous cultures of Papua New Guinea?”[/b]
– Eat Hufu website FAQ, 2005

In an interview on The Daily Show, Nuckols said, “I think that a lot of the pleasure of eating the Hufu product is imagining you’re eating human flesh. For that moment, you can join the fraternity of cannibals… If you really want to come as close as possible to the experience of cannibalism, Hufu is your best option.”
But how did Nuckols, or anyone eating Hufu, for that matter, know what human flesh tastes like?
Polynesian cannibals called human the “long pig,” so we tend to associate people with pork. After studying historical descriptions from cannibal tribes, and a lot of experimenting in the kitchen, Hufu discovered otherwise.
“Hufu is designed to resemble, as humanly possible, the taste and texture of human flesh,” the website stated. “If you’ve never had human flesh before, think of the taste and texture of beef, except a little sweeter in taste and a little softer in texture. Contrary to popular belief, people do not taste like pork or chicken.”
The FAQ adds, “We are supremely confident that our food products would satisfy the tastes of even the most demanding cannibal.”
“I bet you a real Fijian headhunter would enjoy Hufu,” Nuckols told [i]The Stanford Daily[/i].
The name Hufu is a portmanteau of [i]human[/i] and [i]tofu[/i]. The name was apparently coined by Resident Evil actress Milla Jovovitch when she overheard some of Nuckols’ business associates discussing it on a train from London to Paris, according to the website. They were calling it “Hufu” at the time.
“‘Hofu’ sounds like [the male organ],” Milla chimed in. “You should call it ‘hufu.'”

The website offered articles on famous cannibals and cultural traditions, merchandise and recipes: Hufu Stroganoff, Lechter’s Liver with Fava Beans, and Aztec Human Stew for anyone who wants to “vicariously participate in one of the great Aztec customs, the human sacrifice festival.”
Sadly, Hufu closed up shop in 2006.
“The world has moved on past Hufu,” Nuckols said.
Well I didn’t, Mark. There’s a Hufu-sized hole in my soul that can never be filled. If you ever read this and you still have some Classic Strips, or even just a t-shirt (not to eat), taking up space in a closet somewhere, hit me up. My cannibal fork is on standby.

[Image: hufu-easter-island-head-cannibalism.jpg]
(11-10-2021, 12:42 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I see your veg haggis and raise you HUFU

Who (Hu?) needs an alternative?

--tg
(11-10-2021, 02:03 PM)thatguy Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 12:42 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I see your veg haggis and raise you HUFU

Who (Hu?) needs an alternative?

--tg

One of the stupidest and yet greatest Twilight Zone mcguffins ever.  

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia4.giphy.com%2Fmedi...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]
Quote:Smart-Alecky ‘Vegan McDonald’s’ Knock-Off Opens in Union Square, Right Across From Real McDonald’s

Saturday saw the San Francisco opening of the up-and-coming plant-based fast-food chain Mr. Charlie’s, whose menu items and promotions clown on Ronald McDonald and the broader McDonald’s franchise.
The chicken sandwich wars have been a focal point for the fast-food industry as well as several respected local restaurateurs since 2019. Yet now a new war (or maybe more just some David-taunting-Goliath antics) is being waged at SF Union Square at the corner of Sutter and Stockton streets. The McDonald's at 441 Sutter Street opened in 2015, and its McChickens have ruled the fast food roost there since. But on Saturday, a plant-based fast-food competitor called Mr. Charlie’s opened across the street at 432 Sutter Street, and, well, you can see whose eye they’re poking a finger into with some of their iconography below.

Quote:[/url]

View this post on Instagram

Mr. Charlie’s is a vegan fast-food place with one location in Los Angeles, and they opened their Union Square location here Saturday. According to their Instagram promotion below,  “In honor of our Sf opening we will be offering free mini frowny meals at both locations this Saturday, Jan 21st from 11:11am-1:11pm."

Quote:

View this post on Instagram

[url=https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnpKTeepD1S/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading]

But from the Yelp pictures and Instagram embeds from Saturday, there was clearly plenty more than just “free mini frowny meals” being served up. [i]HEEE-heeee[/i], is that a Michael Jackson impersonator they brought in for the occasion? Not the choice I would have made since the release of a certain 2019 documentary exposé, but people seem excited in the pictures.

[Image: mr-charlies-mj.jpeg]

[i]Image: Ron C. via Yelp[/i]
While this SF Mr. Charlie’s location opened Saturday, their food has been available on delivery apps since December. The Mr. Charlie’s menu is surprisingly simple, and highly derivative of McDonald’s and In-N-Out: items are called Not a Hamburger, Not a Cheeseburger, Not a Double Double, Not Chicken Nuggets, and the combo meals are called Frowny Meals. The french fries are normal french fries, as potatoes are already plant-based, and yes their imitation beef is Impossible Burgers from Impossible Foods.
[Image: mt-Charlies-1.jpeg]

[i]Image: John P via Yelp[/i]
There’s probably an appetite for a new cult-hit California burger chain in the wake of In-N-Out’s anti-vaccine shenanigans. And that it’s vegan, with likely a little less indigestion involved, is probably a plus. The big question facing this franchise is whether McDonald's is going to sue them for aping those names and logos. When asked by the Los Angeles Times about this, co-founder and SF native Charlie Kim merely told the Times, "No idea what you mean. I really want to get people eating plant-based food. That's the goal here." 
It's all fun & games until you get that Cease & Desist.

That said, I hope these folks keep this going.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.