06-22-2021, 07:06 PM
Try #2, this time with judicious saving.
So the post-op area is sort of a sad place. Not that we're not closely monitored and waited on hand and foot. But we all want to go home, and there are certain trials we need to pass to get discharged. The first is demonstrating the ability to walk with a walker, and be stable about it. That is often pretty easy. Also, to eat a light meal and drink fluids. Also pretty easy. But the real show-stopper is demonstrating the ability to pee.
I think the culprit is the spinal block they use. It shuts down all sensation in the lower body. That's great for the surgery. It allows a much milder anesthetic to keep you under. When they wake you up afterwards, you're wide awake, ready to eat and drink, and amazed that it's over. But you can't feel or move your feet, or legs, etc. Saliva isn't working either, so don't drink your apple juice and then try to eat a cracker afterwards. You end up with a salty dust that dries out your tongue and upper mouth terribly. But over time sensations return and functions resume. 30 minutes. 45 minutes. The bladder is notorious for being the last function to come online. So they give you plenty of fluids and want you to demonstrate the ability to pee before letting you go home. People in walkers shuffle past to the restroom, and when they emerge, they are often not happy, and shake their head, and so it goes.
They test your bladder with ultrasound. For the last operation, mine was full, and they had to catheterize me, after which I drank some more and succeeded in dribbles. So I said I was good to go, and they accepted that at face value. But I wasn't. And I suffered for days afterwards and likely stressed the bladder dangerously.
So this time I was more careful. I made certain to relieve myself fully just before going into surgery. Afterwards, when they did ultrasound, I expected to be fine. Nope. Completely full. So they had to catheterize me again. After that, I drank a lot more water, and on top of that they decided to put me on drip. LCF wasn't happy about that, because I soon ended up way overfull again (determined by another ultrasound) and with no urge to relieve myself. She thinks they should've monitored all fluids going into me better.
Anyway, we had to make a decision at that point. They could catheterize me again, then have me drink more fluids and wait around in hopes of developing an urge. I could just go home after getting drained again, but might have to come back if things don't start happening. Or they could install a catheter that I would take home and wear for maybe a week, giving the bladder a rest and chance to recuperate.
We decided on the latter.
About catheterization. It's almost without sensation, just a mild tickling as they shove a lubricated tube up where things ought not go. That was my experience for the temp catheters at least. But the installed one is a bit different and was a surprise. It has a little ball on its tip. So as she started introducing it, well, it was a roller coaster ride straight out of hell. LCF was freaking out, seeing my agony, and came over to hug me, and kept asking, How far in does it go? "Quite a ways, actually," the lady said. But eventually she struck oil, at which point the ball on the tip is inflated to keep it in place, and the accoutrements of the system are taped and strapped to the body, with tube and bag attached.
But really, it wasn't all that painful, just very edgy, the sensation that something was where it ought not be and could rip you apart if it went awry. You feel incredibly vulnerable.
So I'm still catheterized, will go in Friday to have it removed and then undergo a trial to see if the bladder has come back online. If it hasn't, well, the catheter goes back in. Not sure what happens it that comes to pass.
So the post-op area is sort of a sad place. Not that we're not closely monitored and waited on hand and foot. But we all want to go home, and there are certain trials we need to pass to get discharged. The first is demonstrating the ability to walk with a walker, and be stable about it. That is often pretty easy. Also, to eat a light meal and drink fluids. Also pretty easy. But the real show-stopper is demonstrating the ability to pee.
I think the culprit is the spinal block they use. It shuts down all sensation in the lower body. That's great for the surgery. It allows a much milder anesthetic to keep you under. When they wake you up afterwards, you're wide awake, ready to eat and drink, and amazed that it's over. But you can't feel or move your feet, or legs, etc. Saliva isn't working either, so don't drink your apple juice and then try to eat a cracker afterwards. You end up with a salty dust that dries out your tongue and upper mouth terribly. But over time sensations return and functions resume. 30 minutes. 45 minutes. The bladder is notorious for being the last function to come online. So they give you plenty of fluids and want you to demonstrate the ability to pee before letting you go home. People in walkers shuffle past to the restroom, and when they emerge, they are often not happy, and shake their head, and so it goes.
They test your bladder with ultrasound. For the last operation, mine was full, and they had to catheterize me, after which I drank some more and succeeded in dribbles. So I said I was good to go, and they accepted that at face value. But I wasn't. And I suffered for days afterwards and likely stressed the bladder dangerously.
So this time I was more careful. I made certain to relieve myself fully just before going into surgery. Afterwards, when they did ultrasound, I expected to be fine. Nope. Completely full. So they had to catheterize me again. After that, I drank a lot more water, and on top of that they decided to put me on drip. LCF wasn't happy about that, because I soon ended up way overfull again (determined by another ultrasound) and with no urge to relieve myself. She thinks they should've monitored all fluids going into me better.
Anyway, we had to make a decision at that point. They could catheterize me again, then have me drink more fluids and wait around in hopes of developing an urge. I could just go home after getting drained again, but might have to come back if things don't start happening. Or they could install a catheter that I would take home and wear for maybe a week, giving the bladder a rest and chance to recuperate.
We decided on the latter.
About catheterization. It's almost without sensation, just a mild tickling as they shove a lubricated tube up where things ought not go. That was my experience for the temp catheters at least. But the installed one is a bit different and was a surprise. It has a little ball on its tip. So as she started introducing it, well, it was a roller coaster ride straight out of hell. LCF was freaking out, seeing my agony, and came over to hug me, and kept asking, How far in does it go? "Quite a ways, actually," the lady said. But eventually she struck oil, at which point the ball on the tip is inflated to keep it in place, and the accoutrements of the system are taped and strapped to the body, with tube and bag attached.
But really, it wasn't all that painful, just very edgy, the sensation that something was where it ought not be and could rip you apart if it went awry. You feel incredibly vulnerable.
So I'm still catheterized, will go in Friday to have it removed and then undergo a trial to see if the bladder has come back online. If it hasn't, well, the catheter goes back in. Not sure what happens it that comes to pass.
