10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Hospice has formally begun. Mom isn't into it as she doesn't really see what they are doing. She feels they are more appropriate for home care. Hospice provided a binder, written in like 16 pt font, that was mostly useless, save for a small pamphlet about some of the behaviors of people nearing death. Having been bedside for the death of some friends, I didn't realize how universal some of these behaviors are. I also got a phone call from a hospice worker that was way too cheerful. She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. At least, hospice provides more eyes to look after Dad, to keep him comfortable.
Apparently Dad had a great day yesterday. He ate his lunch and beat a hospice worker at tic tac toe. That's the most responsive he's been since the hospitalization for his bladder issue. I wonder if it's the surge of energy that sometimes precedes death. Mom was encouraged to see him brighten up a little. He has lost about six more pounds. Coincidentally, Dad had his initial stroke just prior to a Shaolin trip I made to Las Vegas, where several noted monks, including my master, were meeting for a Thanksgiving-like celebration hosted by one of my Shaolin brothers. And next weekend, I'm headed to LA for the Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival.
Apparently Dad had a great day yesterday. He ate his lunch and beat a hospice worker at tic tac toe. That's the most responsive he's been since the hospitalization for his bladder issue. I wonder if it's the surge of energy that sometimes precedes death. Mom was encouraged to see him brighten up a little. He has lost about six more pounds. Coincidentally, Dad had his initial stroke just prior to a Shaolin trip I made to Las Vegas, where several noted monks, including my master, were meeting for a Thanksgiving-like celebration hosted by one of my Shaolin brothers. And next weekend, I'm headed to LA for the Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

