Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis
Genesis was my first rock concert ever. At the Greek. Early 80s

Quote:
Phil Collins And Genesis Bid Farewell To Touring In Final London Show
  • Bruce Haring March 27, 2022 10:51AM PDT

AP
Genesis won’t turn it on again, staging what was billed as its final concert Saturday night at London’s 02 arena.
Phil Collins, the group’s former drummer, was joined by keyboardist Tony Banks and guitarist Mike Rutherford. Collins, age 71 and increasingly frail with back and hip issues, sat center stage throughout. He was in good humor, though, reportedly quipping at oine point that he’ll now need to find a real job after the band’s demise.
Genesis’ “The Last Domino? Tour” came after a 14-year live performance hiatus. It was also postponed during the pandemic. The group’s final tour included concerts in the U.K. last September and in North America last fall, concluding with another 14 concerts in Europe and the U.K.

The trio were joined on the tour by Collins’ son, Nic, who also filled in for his father behind the kit during his recent solo tours. Longtime touring member Daryl Stuermer returned on guitar and bass, joined by Daniel Pearce on backing vocals and percussion and Patrick Smyth on backing vocals and tambourine.
The 23 songs on the final night were virtually identical to the band’s recent U.K. and US tours.
Genesis first formed in 1967 and became a major act in the 1970s with Peter Gabriel, selling more than 100 million records. Collins became the band’s drummer and backing vocalist in 1970 before becoming lead vocalist in 1975 as Gabriel departed or a solo career. Conflicting reports indicated Gabriel was in the audience for the final show.
Genesis released 15 studio albums in its long career. The band’s final night set list:
Genesis, The O2, London, U.K., March 26, 2022 Setlist
Behind the Lines / Duke’s End
Turn It On Again
Mama
Land of Confusion
Home By the Sea
Second Home By the Sea
Fading Lights
The Cinema Show
Afterglow
That’s All
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Follow You Follow Me
Duchess
No Son of Mine
Firth of Fifth
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
Domino
Throwing It All Away
Tonight Tonight Tonight
Invisible Touch
Encore
I Can’t Dance
Dancing With the Moonlight Knight
Carpet Crawlers
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Bring back Peter!

I kid.

The end of another era. Maybe this should go in franchises of our youth?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Truth be told, I was much more a fan of Gabriel than Genesis. But I didn't get on board until after he left. That first concert of mine was the first tour without Gabriel. I saw him solo however. And I have his German albums, on vinyl no less. 

I should sell all my vinyl because I don't have a functioning turntable anymore.
I have a turntable....I'm sure ED does.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I have access to two:
My old vertical turntable which doesn’t work anymore but I haven’t tossed it yet because I hope it is fixable and my parents ancient wood cabinet radio/turntable. That thing weighs a ton and is the size of a large night stand. Prolly runs on tubes. But it has a beautiful warm sound and I attribute my love of bass to being raised with it.
I have two turntables (and a microphone!)

I only got into Genesis post Gabriel as well. Initially, in grade school/junior high, I thought they were some metal band with a religious reference and I kinda avoided them. Then, I saw the Genesis Live show on Cinemax (which became the live Seconds Out album). That was my favorite album for a long time, a collection of material from the band up to Lamb Lies Down. and then I learned about this Gabriel guy and the previous incarnation of the band. I was taking guitar lessons and my teacher, Roger, taught me Horizons which is a guitar-only Steve Hackett piece from Foxtrot. I love that song and bought Foxtrot and then got sucked into all the other tracks. I think that's my favorite Genesis album. 

There's a Genesis cover band from Montreal called "The Musical Box". They have the endorsement of both Genesis and Peter G to perform those shows. A friend had a spare ticket and I saw LLDoB at the Masonic. A recreation of the full multimedia event with three slide projectors and reproductions of the original costumes. It was amazing, but the Watcher of the Skies encore was the best part (side 3/4 of LLD0B gets a little slow).

I like Genesis w/Phil up front thru Duke and into Abacab, but there's some really bad songs on Abacab and you can see where the band is going. I quit listening after that. I saw a clip/interview with Phil/Tony/Michael and Phil was looking pretty bad. I imagine it would be a pretty depressing show.

Quote:Behind the Lines / Duke’s End - Good Song
Turn It On Again - Good Song
Mama - AWFUL!
Land of Confusion - AWFUL!
Home By the Sea - Good Song
Second Home By the Sea - Good Song
Fading Lights - ???
The Cinema Show - Good Song
Afterglow - Good Song
That’s All - AWFUL!
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Good Song
Follow You Follow Me - Good Song
Duchess - Good Song
No Son of Mine - AWFUL!
Firth of Fifth - Good Song
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) - Good Song
Domino - ???
Throwing It All Away - AWFUL!
Tonight Tonight Tonight - Good Song
Invisible Touch - AWFUL!
Encore
I Can’t Dance - AWFUL!
Dancing With the Moonlight Knight - Good Song
Carpet Crawlers - Good Song

One a different note, I saw a band called "The Security Project" which was all musicians that either played on Gabriel's first 5 albums, or toured with him. They played at Don Quixote's in Felton. They were really tight and great, though the singer was decidedly not Gabriel sounding at all.

--tg
They didn't play Misunderstanding? That was the big hit. Or Abacab? That was big too.

I recently got a post-Gabriel Genesis hits compilation at the library. A few good songs, a lot of filler.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Searching for "moon" and "knight", my browser suggested this. I'm really surprised they played it on this last tour. It's a deep cut and I would call it "difficult listening".

--tg
(03-28-2022, 09:29 AM)thatguy Wrote: There's a Genesis cover band from Montreal called "The Musical Box". They have the endorsement of both Genesis and Peter G to perform those shows. A friend had a spare ticket and I saw LLDoB at the Masonic. A recreation of the full multimedia event with three slide projectors and reproductions of the original costumes. It was amazing, but the Watcher of the Skies encore was the best part (side 3/4 of LLD0B gets a little slow).

well, this is timely...They're coming to The Regency Ballroom on 5/24 to perform LLDoB

https://www.axs.com/events/430254/the-mu...is-tickets

--tg