Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tomorrow War (2021)
I keep wanting this to be The Forever War by Joe Haldeman or even Old Man's War by John Scalzi. But it's not. Sadly.

It's a time travel movie that makes up the stupidest rules ever about time travel and then justify them. In the future, aliens have arrived and the earth is down to it's last 500,000 people. Those people come back in time 30 years to recruit people from our time to go back up the timeline to fight the aliens. Which should have ended the movie right there. Prepare now knowing the aliens are coming, right? Nope. Armies are sent to the future to fight where they are promptly wiped out. Then everyone gets enlisted. The only enlistees allowed are people that won't be alive in 30 years time. What? How did all those armies get to go? This happens a lot. Logic flaw after logic flaw coming at you fast and furious.

Then you can only go for seven days. And basically they are given guns and told to shoot. They aren't given any training. Again. Time travel. Take all the time you need to train your forces and then send them. Nope. Right from the recruitment center to the front lines.

Chris Pratt, JK Simmons, Yvonne Strahovski star in this mess. JK plays Chris's estranged father. So, they get to have some good meaty dialogue scenes together. Yvonne is a colonel/scientist in the future. She is the only one working on the chemical warfare agent to kill the aliens. You would think they would task more people with solving that riddle. It's kind of important. But no, just Yvonne.

There is a lot more crap than that. Lots of faux tear jerker scenes as people reconnect over long held issues. Lots of sort of good battle scenes. I did like the aliens. They are these indomitable killing machines. Hundred of high explosive rounds are needed to take them down. And yet, at one point Pratt beats one in hand to hand combat. It's like those guys who think they can take a grizzly bear.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm