Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
A woman has a dead-end life and takes an overdose. She awakes in a library where all the books are her possible lives, and she can step into each one, and might stay is she is satisfied. She goes through several, and telling more would give away the ending, which I correctly predicted, and it wasn't a great feat of deduction. Really this book covers some of the same ground that his last book, How to Stop Time, covered better. I was that he recently wrote a non-fiction book called Reasons to Stay Alive about his struggle with depression, and I would guess that this book is those same ideas worked out in fiction. He's a good writer, but this one is not recommended. If you're curious about the author, I'd go with Humans or How to Stop Time.
the hands that guide me are invisible
(03-16-2021, 02:11 PM)King Bob Wrote: A woman has a dead-end life and takes an overdose. She awakes in a library where all the books are her possible lives, and she can step into each one, and might stay is she is satisfied. She goes through several, and telling more would give away the ending, which I correctly predicted, and it wasn't a great feat of deduction. Really this book covers some of the same ground that his last book, How to Stop Time, covered better. I was that he recently wrote a non-fiction book called Reasons to Stay Alive about his struggle with depression, and I would guess that this book is those same ideas worked out in fiction. He's a good writer, but this one is not recommended. If you're curious about the author, I'd go with Humans or How to Stop Time.

I just read The Humans. It was so much a British version of the “Resident Alien” show that I assumed they had to be related somehow, but no. Enjoyed it very much.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.