Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Swordsman (2021)
(12-16-2020, 09:31 AM)cranefly Wrote: The Swordsman (2021) [Korean]

Have I sung the praises of Hoopla lately? No?

Hoopla rocks. It's free through our public library. My municipal tax dollars at work. 

I get like 8 films a month. I've had it for a year plus now and I've never hit the max in a month what with my other streaming services. 

Hoopla gets most all of the Well Go USA titles. They currently have over 200 of them. The Swordsman just came out. We did a sweeps promo for it on KFM for the BRDs that just ended today. And here it is, already available on Hoopla.

This is a Korean film, set in the Joseon period when Korea was being oppressed by the Ming dynasty. Jang Hyuk is Tae-yul, a swordsman who is going blind, begging that age old question 'can I play with my sword until I need glasses?' He lives as a recluse in the mountains with his daughter. Jang is a TKD & JKD practitioner, so he can move. He mostly plays a stoic badass, with his bangs covering his eyes, but he's going blind so that's fine.

Man-sik Jeong is Min Seung-ho, a senior rival swordsman. He's a good counterpoint to young Tae-yul, an older, more reserved swordmaster trying to do right in a decaying world. 

And the smarmy Chinese villain Gurutai is played by none other than the mighty Joe Taslim. Joe is great, as always. He mostly plays one note - a cocky grinning villain which he seems to relish playing - and displays a bit more range when the finale fight starts to turn. It's a far cry from the last time I saw him play Li Yong in Warrior

This film delivers. It's a rich tale of intertwining intrigues, oppression, villainy, revenge and honor, a battle to be the best sword in a selfish world that doesn't give a rat's ass about the way of the warrior. The Joseon world is well depicted, the crossroads between China and Japan. 

But y'all know what this is really about. It's called The Swordsman. It's about those sword fights. 

The fight choreo explodes whenever blades are drawn. It's swirling camerawork, and complicated exchanges, including one decent one-er when Tae-yul cuts down a line of riflemen. I'm always pleased when I see feints used as opposed to just swashbuckling play. The fighting style feels somewhere between Samurai chanbara and Kung Fu wuxia. It's mostly sword, but there's also a crutch-tonfa and weird ass deer horn knife. And there are ninjas. Everybody loves ninjas. 

DOOM recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Saw this last night.  Yes, very solid production on all levels.  And if you're into swordfights, they're pretty much wall to wall.

For me, beyond the swordfights, it's all about the hats.  Umbrella hats, lampshade hats, hats ridiculously small (to a westerner's eye) and hats with wing-like flourishes or scroll-like projections.  You name it, and this movie has it -- in terms of hats.  And they all signify important stuff about allegiance and rank and who knows what else.  Not that I know any of it.  So for me it's like a Monty Python skit about funny walks -- only this uses hats.

Not to make light of this movie, which is very serious and solid.  Just pointing my own ignorance of historical Korean fashion.
I'm nobody's pony.
Funny you should mention this. While watching this, I kept wondering if I could get away with rocking one of those lids at a music festival. Cultural appropriation maybe?

[Image: main-qimg-08dae1de434e59a2a5a8b19944dbbde2]
While watching Unorthodox, I renewed my love for the big round furry hat the men wear.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The American contemporary hat game is weak. I keep wanted to break the mold but fear it would just accentuate my evil tong viilain look and I don’t need that right now.
DM: You totally need to do that.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Seconded. You can practice around the house.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The Ukranian band Dahka Brahka (recommended) has awesome headwear

--tg

[Image: DakhaBrakha.jpg]
SHOW US YOUR HATS!

I have maybe two-dozen-plus hats, all baseball cap style, with various logos cool logos on them, artifacts from concerts, comic-cons, and my wayward lifestyle. I keep thinking I should wear hats more often because I look so much younger if I hide my receding hairline. 

I have a killer top hat. If that hat could talk, I'd have to slit its throat and sink it off the pier. 

I used to have a black hybrid sombrero cowboy hat but Tara stole it from me. I got that on an SJSU fencing trip to So Cal because it reminded me of the man with no name. 

I have a few toques, including a fav from Dublin's Teeling's distillery, and weird one that has a brim and earflaps, plus a built in pull down ninja mask. 

Surprisingly I do not own a rasta tam. 

Nor do I have a pith helmet. Scapino owned that at a Dead show and I cannot ever see me going there. The memory of the Grate-Scapino-tripper-pith-helmet swipe makes me smile even now. Perhaps Greg & KB remember? I'll never forget. 

One of my Kung Fu uncles collects Ming dynasty hats. He also has the most amazing collection of Chinese weapons I've ever seen, plus a few signed Dali prints. And a cherry red Ferrari. He's cooler than me.
I like the really wide brim fedoras that Orthodox Jews wear. It looks weird because they're oversized to fit over the yarmulke, but a well-fitting one is a good look. Paul Simenon of The Clash used to wear one sometimes. A straw boater is a great hat too, but I think a bit theatrical. I worry about getting a sunburn on my balding head - I don't want to be one of those old men where the top of their head looks sort of like a ham - so I usually wear a straw fedora when I'm out walking. In colder weather I wear a knit cap.

They had so many more hat shapes in the 19th century. Ours is a sorry time by comparison.

DM - surely there are some Chinese traditional hats for you? You've probably got connections who could help.
the hands that guide me are invisible
You can totally rock a straw fedora, KB. I could see that. 

I think I wear enough Chinese stuff already. Too much. That's what I mean by 'evil tong villain.'
Evil Tong Villain is in for 2021.

I wear knit caps and baseball caps. My Sunday Wandering Hat is some sort of outdoors full-brimmed hat. I call it my Old Man hat. Like Dr. Bob says I gotta keep the sun off my noggin. I have also had enough skin-things burned off my face by my doc that I have to keep the sun off my mug.

Also, my head gets cold.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I don't do baseball caps. My ears stick out too much. I look like a simpleton or something.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I moved this discussion to The official DOOM hat thread http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=6137

Back on topic. The Swordsman has killer sword fights.
Here's a first. I've been translated into Korean!

Quote:제목[Martial Arts Globe] 날카롭게 해외에 진출한 한국 무예 영화 ‘검객’
  • 조회수

• 작성일
    2021-03-11
  • 첨부

[Image: M2103111118303_1.jpg]

영화는 매체 특성상 파급력이 좋아 일반 대중에게 무예를 소개할 수 있는 강력한 매체이다. 좋은 액션 영화 한 편만큼 세계인의 관심을 주목시키는데 효과적인 수단은 없다. 대부분 허구의 이야기를 소재로 하지만 무예 영화는 감독이 속한 국가 고유의 예술적 특질과 문화적 다양성이 녹아있다. 특히 시대극에는 의상과 설화, 철학 등에 깃든 민족 고유의 요소들이 잘 드러난다. 비록 이러한 문화적 요소들은 격투 장면 사이에 부수적으로 등장하지만 지구촌 전체의 문화 교류와 상호이해 증진에 도움이 된다.

사실 가벼운 오락거리로 제작되는 무예 영화가 대부분이다. 진부한 내용에 폭력적 장면이 지나치게 많이 등장하는 B급 영화가 많다. 하지만 '용쟁호투(1973)', '베스트 키드(1984)', '와호장룡(2000)' 같이 무예 영화의 판도를 뒤집은 명작도 충분히 있다. 지난 수십 년 동안 중국의 쿵후 영화와 일본의 사무라이 장르 영화들은 아시아의 무예를 전 세계에 알렸다. 이제 인도와 인도네시아, 말레이시아, 태국 등 다른 아시아 국가들도 자국의 문화를 보여주는 영화 제작에 총력을 기울이고 있다. 한편 한국은 2019년 봉준호 감독의 '기생충'이 오스카상을 휩쓸며 세계적인 영화 강국으로 부상하고 있다(Schindel, 2020).

한국 영화는 영미권에서 큰 인기를 끌고 있다. 이에 발맞춰 넷플릭스는 2021년 한국 콘텐츠에 5억 달러를 투자할 계획이라고 밝혔다(Brzeski, 2021). 최근 개봉한 '검객'은 영화 한 편이 어떻게 문화 교류의 장을 열 수 있는지 잘 보여준다. 팬데믹의 여파로 원래 개봉일보다 일주일 늦은 2020년 9월 23일 한국에서 최초 개봉한 '검객'은 10월 동안 아시아 국가들에서 개봉하고 2021년에는 북미 시장까지 진출했다.

[Image: THE%20SWORDSMAN-Well%20Go%20USA-Korean%2...x754-6.jpg]

<검을 뽑다>
'검객'은 청나라로부터 자주 침략을 당하던 조선 시대를 배경으로 한다. 다른 무예 영화들과 비교해 등장인물들은 다층적이고 매력이 살아있다. 장혁이 연기한 태율은 조선 최고의 검객이다. 시력을 잃어가던 그는 딸 태옥(김현수)과 함께 산에서 은둔 생활을 한다. 실제로 태권도와 절권도를 오랫동안 수련한 장혁은 격투 장면을 탁월하게 소화했다. 태율의 숙적 민승호는 배우 정만식이 연기했다. 민승호는 부패한 조선의 조정에서 옳은 일을 하고자 노력하는 조용하고 노련한 고수이다. 극 중 가장 눈에 띄는 인물은 청나라 황족 ‘구루타이’다. 실제 인도네시아 유도챔피언 출신 배우 조 타슬림이 연기했다. 조 타슬림은 2010년 작 '레이드'를 통해 이름을 알린 이후 '분노의 질주: 더 맥시멈(2013)', '스타트렉 비욘드(2016)' 등 굵직한 할리우드 블록버스터와 이소룡이 생전에 기획했던 이야기를 기반으로 한 미국 드라마 '워리어(2019~2020)'에도 출연했다. 4월 개봉을 앞둔 '모탈 컴뱃' 리부트에도 출연 예정이다.

'검객'은 무예 영화의 오랜 문법을 따른다. 음모와 압제, 악행, 복수, 명예, 무사의 도가 사라진 이기적인 세상에서 최고의 검객이 되기 위한 대결 등이 복잡하게 얽혀 거대한 서사를 완성한다. 태율과 민승호, 구루타이는 각자의 이유로 서로를 결투장에서 만나지만, 결국 세 남자의 운명은 모두 검과 피로 결정된다.

영화 속에서 검이 뽑힐 때마다 폭발적인 검술 액션이 펼쳐진다. '검객'의 액션은 박진감 넘치는 촬영기술과 어지러운 난투극의 향연이라고 정의할 수 있다. 특히, 태율이 수십 명의 소총수를 베는 43초 길이의 싱글 테이크 장면이 돋보인다. 무예인들이 보기에 대부분의 영화 속 검투 장면은 그저 겉만 화려한 흉내 내기로, 실제 검투에서 볼 수 있는 스타카토 리듬이 부재한다. 하지만 <검객>은 영화적 자유가 가미되긴 했지만, 적을 속이는 움직임과 실전의 스타카토 리듬을 묘사하여 진정성을 더했다. 좋은 무예 영화의 공식에 따라 <검객>의 액션 장면은 최후의 대결로 갈수록 긴장감을 고조시키며 관객을 사로잡는다.

영미권 관객에게 영화 속 검술은 일본의 찬바라나 중국 무예의 중간쯤으로 보이겠지만, 이는 두 무술의 장르 영화가 먼저 등장했기 때문일 것이다. 야금술이 발달한 여느 나라가 그렇듯 한국 또한 고유의 전통 검술이 있다. 한국의 태권도는 세계적으로 사랑받는 무예로 자리 잡았지만, 한국 고유의 검술은 해외에서 알려진 바가 거의 없다. 영화 <검객>이 한국 전통 검술을 전 세계에 알리는 계기가 되길 희망한다.

박진감 넘치는 검투 장면 외에도 '검객'은 조선의 문화를 관객에게 소개한다. 사상적으로, 효, 충, 인내 같은 아시아의 이상적 가치가 영화 전반에 깔려있다. 영화의 또 다른 볼거리는 조선 시대의 패션으로, 특히 갓이 관객의 눈을 사로잡는다. 대부분의 영미권 관객은 '검객'에서 조선의 갓을 처음 접할 것이다. 영화 한 편이 다른 문화권에 대한 이해를 돕는 디딤돌 역할을 할 수 있는 것이다. 우리가 서로를 더욱 이해하게 될 때, 세계평화에 한 걸음 다가가는 것이 아닐까. 그리고 좋은 영화 한 편이 그 첫걸음이 될 수 있을 것이다.

※ 본 글은 저자 개인의 의견입니다.

The English version is forthcoming. 

Also, I'm hoping they will add my azn name. In Chinese, I'm 陳興華. In Korean, that translates into 첸싱화 - That's Chen Singhwa, which I just discovered, just now, and am tucking away for a future pen name. Thanks interwebz!