Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilton
It *did* mention slavery - that was one of the reasons Burr was pissed at Hamilton, for supporting the Virginians.

I enjoyed it, but couldn’t help but notice and be annoyed at how totally it failed the Bechdel test.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
(07-07-2020, 09:40 PM)The Queen Wrote: I enjoyed it, but couldn’t help but notice and be annoyed at how totally it failed the Bechdel test.

True but the Eliza epilogue is redemptive there, no? 

As for catchy showtunes, well, it is hip hop.  I've never found hip hop that catchy. They aren't really songs in the traditional sense. It's too hard to remember all those damn lyrics. I remember certain lyric lines, like 'Wu Tang Clan ain't nuthin to f with' but I don't really 'sing' those to myself, more drop them like I'd drop lines from a movie. That being said, I'm not a huge hip hop fan. I have certain hip hop acts that I enjoy - Wu of course, Cypress Hill, and this - but that's about it. 

Note - the original King was played by the leader of the rival Vocal Adrenaline in Glee.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The Remix using the movie.

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Saw it again. At least up until the blackmail sequence. Once we get through the Room where it happens, the play drags on. I still really enjoyed it. Love the King. Love Jefferson.

I see a lot of Echoes of Jesus Christ Superstar in Hamilton especially when you decide Burr is Judas.

The problem with seeing it again is that it has given me a terrible ear worm which came to full flower this morning at 3am when Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy were singing their names and looking for a man who works, works in the greatest city in the world.

[Image: giphy.gif]
We had Hamilton playing in the background yesterday. Talk about your earworms. We both see more in it every time we see it. It's thick - the rapping lets you get in more lyrics in a shorter time. Same goes for a lot of the musical ideas, at least for us.

Have you seen any Ham4Ham vids? Check this one (skip to 1:30 when it gets rolling)

No. But I did see some vids on 22 things I might have missed. And watched Lin watch the Hamilton Polka.

One of the things that 22 things brought up is if they did a normal word pacing for the songs ala a traditional musical, Hamilton would probably run between 4 and 6 hours in length.

The Hamilton Polka is my jam especially when it's synced to the movie.

That Schulyer thing was great. I loved the Daviid Diggs cameo.

(07-17-2020, 10:50 AM)Greg Wrote: One of the things that 22 things brought up is if they did a normal word pacing for the songs ala a traditional musical, Hamilton would probably run between 4 and 6 hours in length.

Sounds about right. It's pretty freakin long already...

You saw this, right?

Interesting story about the original Eliza. Phillipa Soo was a Julliard grad but was discovered and cast in the part by Miranda. Nice start.
I have not and now will.

Nice. I really want to know how they sync up those Zoom calls. And make them sound so good. Great editing.

I want to be Daviid Diggs when I grow up.

(07-17-2020, 03:34 PM)Greg Wrote: Nice. I really want to know how they sync up those Zoom calls. And make them sound so good. Great editing.

Right? That's ZOOM on a whole different level. I was quite impressed by the mixing and editing as well. 

Ham4Ham is a Hamilton rabbit hole

I've spent the day with Helpless drilling through my head. I think I'll walk to some other rabbit hole.

Still ear worm central. We watched it again last night because the Dowager Empress hadn't seen it. She thought it was fine. I like it more on repeated viewings. But as is usual, I've had the score on repeat playing in my head.