Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wizard World
I started posting about this on the GoT thread (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...8#pid34838) but I covered my GoT point and I'm still working on my nitecap so I'll continue here.

WW was disappointingly small.  I was hoping to hang with some friends but the timing didn't work out so we missed and I flew solo.  Covered it all very quickly.  Probably did a half dozen laps of the entire floor just to feel like I was at a comic con.  Didn't find a single thing that I wanted.  Not one thing.  I would've jumped on a nice Baby Yoda but it's too early.  Well, I take that back - Dragon Song Forge had some sweet katanas but those were way out of my price range and I need another sword like I need another T-shirt.  Not even any decent pins.  

I did enjoy a tasty Carribbean dinner at Ollie's, just down the street. Almost splurged on the ackee and salt fish but that was like $19 so I opted for the much less expensive veggie patty which was quite delicious especially with their hot sauce.  You know it's a crappy con when the best part is the food.  It was old downtown Oaktown tho, where there are some decent eateries.

Granted it was Friday so slow, but I'm not bothering to go back and already cut my press wristband.  There were a few has beens in has been alley.  Honky Tonk Man.  Greg Brady.  Some other WWE diva who was there for an interview then vanished.  Kato Kaelin was the MC trying to fire up the crowd for some live music performances but it was like a dozen people at the most watching at any given time.  He clowned me a bit when I came in - asking me who he was and then taking the mike away before I could answer.  For a fleeting moment I thought I'd grab a selfie with him for that, but then I was like, Kato? Really?

Anyway, I got like 15 mins of interview with 3 vendors plus a few dozen mediocre pix, enough for a web article in my continuing Kung Fu of Comic Cons series. I just do it for the press pass and to sniff out any trends that I could capitalize upon.  I got a good lead on selling fans to belly dancers from the DSF rep, which makes me want to follow up on a sword dance piece I proposed to a pro belly dancer acquaintance some time ago.  I've always had a thing for belly dancers and have fond memories of notching those crappy kastanes we used to sell at AFS for belly dancers.  That DSF rep may have been BSing me (some of his comments were very questionable but I'll run with them for the piece because of that old Liberty Valence quote - y'all know what I'm talkin bout).
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
It was on TCM last night.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Kato?
DM, you lead a peculiar life.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
The Man who shot....
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(11-23-2019, 09:51 AM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: DM, you lead a peculiar life.
Oh you should talk... Rolleyes

(11-23-2019, 10:23 AM)Greg Wrote: The Man who shot....

Ah, right. As a publisher, that film gave me one of the greatest lines ever.
Quote:Wizard World closes its convention business, selling all cons off to Fan Expo
By Chris Arrant about 1 hour ago
After 25 years, the Wizard World comic conventions are no more

[Image: 5c4bxjZrsoJGe46wqxp6jE-320-80.jpg]
(Image credit: Wizard World)

Fan Expo has announced a deal with Wizard World to acquire six of Wizard World's largest yearly comic conventions, including the organizer's Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Portland, and St. Louis Wizard World events.

[Image: missing-image.svg]
(Image credit: Fan Expo HQ)
"Fan Expo HQ is devoted to creating unmissable, exceptional fan experiences. We're beyond thrilled to be able to offer that to fans in six new locations, and pleased that Wizard World recognized our ability to elevate guest experience to the next level," says Fan Expo HQ president Aman Gupta in the announcement. "We're looking forward to getting to know each of these individual communities, learn what they're looking for, and raise the bar!"
Of all the conventions acquired, the Chicago event is arguably the one with the most potential. It is the second oldest comic event in North America (behind only Comic-Con International: San Diego), and for a time in the '90s and early '00s was the second largest comic convention in North America (also behind SDCC).

"Personally, I'm eager to contribute to the incredible legacy of the Chicago event, the second oldest comic event in North America (1972), and restore it to its former glory and beyond," Gupta adds.
There will be one last Wizard World - the already scheduled Wizard World Chicago, taking place October 15 through 17, 2021, will go on as planned in the historic Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. 
In 2022, it - and the other five cities' Wizard Worlds - will be renamed as Fan Expos.
Dates for the 2022 events in New Orleans, Portland, and St. Louis were announced earlier this year by Wizard World, but as of press time, Fan Expo says the dates are now 'to be determined.'
[Image: missing-image.svg]

(Image credit: DC)

"Dates and show information for 2022 will be released later this year," a Fan Expo representative tells Newsarama. "Where possible, we are working to maintain the existing date patterns, and intend to remain in existing venues."

With the acquisition of these six comic conventions, Fan Expo HQ now has 17 North American cons, making it the largest comic convention organization in the world. Fan Expo HQ expects nearly 1 million fans across its 2022 events, including the former Wizard World cons.

Wizard World's sale of its largest shows to Fan Expo is effectively Wizard's exit from the comic book convention business - at least as an organizer. Wizard was originally founded as part of the comics journalism magazine of the same name. In 1996 it got into the convention game, buying the long-running Chicago Comicon and renaming it Wizard World Chicago. The magazine side of the business closed in 2011.

According to a Fan Expo representative, Wizard World will continue to operate its collectibles business Wizard World Vault, and is expected to have booth space at future Fan Expo events.

[i]Here's a list of all the upcoming major [/i][i]comic conventions[/i][i] in North America and around the world.[/i] 
Newsarama Senior Editor Chris Arrant has covered comic book news for Newsarama since 2003, and has also written for USA Today, Life, Entertainment Weekly, Publisher's Weekly, Marvel Entertainment, TOKYOPOP, AdHouse Books, Cartoon Brew, Bleeding Cool, Comic Shop News, and CBR. He is the author of the book Modern: Masters Cliff Chiang, co-authored Art of Spider-Man Classic, and contributed to Dark Horse/Bedside Press' anthology Pros and (Comic) Cons. He has acted as a judge for the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, the Harvey Awards, and the Stan Lee Awards. Chris is a member of the American Library Association's Graphic Novel & Comics Round Table.