Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illuminatus
I first read this about thirty years ago, and again about fifteen years ago. I loved it the first time, and thought it was not nearly as good the second time. Recently I saw the three volume mass market set, with the cheesy/great 70s cover art, and picked them up because I had a lot of trade credit. I just finished the first book.

AND...I thought it was entertaining, but also pretty much just pulp trash. Plus the self-conscious Modernist (Joycean?) interweaving of narratives, sometimes mid-sentence, gets a bit wearying. And the female characters are all flat, with minimal dialogue, and are pretty much just there to have sex with the main male characters. (How did I not notice that before?) And it ended a bit abruptly, which must have been annoying when the next book had not yet been released. And looking at the two books that are left, I'm feeling like it might be a little fatter than it needs to be.

I will probably read the other two books, but not right now. Maybe when I don't know what I want to read next.
the hands that guide me are invisible