Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I, Tonya
Brava Margot & Allison. Funny, heartfelt, tragic, dysfunctional, white trash, Olympic - I remember it all quite well. They skipped the sex tape chapter (I confess I’ve seen it) but the rest moved along well. It’s one of those films where there’s a lot of talking to the camera, played to good effect with the rashomon quality of storytelling. Leggy Margot is digitally shortened and given muscular thighs way beyond her, but still lacks a skater’s physique. Nevertheless the skating sequences are remarkable fusions on swirling camera work and cgi seemlessly executed. The slo mo triple with Margot’s face and digitally-steroids buttocks is convincing. And Margot delivers some fine acting chops, especially towards the end of the film, not just a pretty face. Janney had a line that made both Stacy & me lol, which is rare for a film. The music wasn’t quite correct for the 90s but okay. Tonya comes off as no angel, but also quite tragic - she was at the golden globes at Margot’s table, so there’s some redemption in that and in this film. Recommended for cf because if memory serves, he used to crush on Tonya.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(01-08-2018, 10:50 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Recommended for cf because if memory serves, he used to crush on Tonya.

WTF!
I won't completely deny it, as my memory is a bit spotty in this area.  I remember feeling it was refreshing to see a different body type in figure skating -- which I think was a lot of her appeal.

I kept sighing when I saw this advertised on Netflix streaming.  Another trashy toss-off film.  But then I started hearing good things about it.  DM reinforces that it might be worthwhile.  But you didn't mention Tonya's mother.  I heard that the actress who played her was sensational, and it's one of the great evil characters in recent cinema.
I'm nobody's pony.
Alison Janney won the Golden Globe for her portrayal of the mother.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-09-2018, 01:00 AM)cranefly Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 10:50 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Recommended for cf because if memory serves, he used to crush on Tonya.

WTF!
I won't completely deny it, as my memory is a bit spotty in this area.  I remember feeling it was refreshing to see a different body type in figure skating -- which I think was a lot of her appeal.

I kept sighing when I saw this advertised on Netflix streaming.  Another trashy toss-off film.  But then I started hearing good things about it.  DM reinforces that it might be worthwhile.  But you didn't mention Tonya's mother.  I heard that the actress who played her was sensational, and it's one of the great evil characters in recent cinema.

It's easy to blow off Margot, but she's might be the Nicole Kidman - another stunning Aussie blonde who has some serious acting chops.  I want her to do an action film, not a comic book character like Harley but a femme fatale assassin like in Atomic Blonde or Revenge.

I recall a random conversation we once had about Tonya. We might have even been discussing her sex tape. Perhaps it was an email correspondence actually, because what sticks out in my mind was you writing 'Ka-chug Ka-chug' to express your beating heart, and I remember thinking how effective that was and that I should poach it someday.  I haven't yet.  I really should.

As for Allison, I'm a huge fan.  She was fabulous in The West Wing, my fav character of that series.  I like her in Mom, although I'm not that into sitcoms lately.  I even like her Kaiser Ads voice work - they make me feel better about being a member there.  She KILLS it in this.  A completely reprehensible character, so tragic and yet so funny.  She got me chuckling in several scenes, despite being utterly loathsome.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse