Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Discovery
I really hope this is good.

Quote:[img=0x60]http://www.startrek.com/images/logo-startrek-50_884x381.png[/img]
News
       All News                Discovery                               News                              Events                              Guest Blogger                              Products                 All News
[Image: 79867a5d3968400719c568605f0fa200c9f737c0.jpg]
Star Trek: Discovery Beams Up Three Cast Members
StarTrek.com Staff
November 29, 2016

<font color="#ffffff"><span data-scefontsize="x-small" style="font-size:x-small"><font face="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"><strong>Share</strong></font></span></font>]=http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-beams-up-three-cast-members]Share
Comments (8)
A+ A A-
Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh and Anthony Rapp have been announced as the first three actors cast for Star Trek: Discovery.
[Image: giphy_(4).gif]
Jones will play Lt. Saru, a Starfleet science officer and an alien species new to the Star Trek universe. He is a respected actor with a large following of sci-fi and horror fans as a result of his creature performances in the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hellboy, Legion, Pan’s Labyrinth and The Strain. 
Yeoh is set to play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet captain aboard the starship Shenzhou. She is an internationally known actress and action star whose many credits include Tomorrow Never Dies and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Rapp will beam aboard as Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist, fungus expert and Starfleet science officer on the starship Discovery. He is best known for his stage work in such Broadway productions as Rent, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown and If/Then, and also counts among his films credits School Ties, A Beautiful Mind and Rent.
Star Trek: Discovery is coming to CBS All Access in May 2017, following the premiere on the CBS Television Network, and will be distributed concurrently on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media in Canada.
---
Follow us for more news at StarTrek.com
and via our social media sites.

- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/star-tre...WYcee.dpuf
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Its good to be back in the Star Trek universe. 

I like Michael. A bit bummed on how Michelle played out in ep 2. Don't care for Sarek, and the new Klingons are overdone, but that's ok. I love the sound call backs and the overall story arc so far. 

Yea, I got CBS access again just for this. I'm on board with Discovery.

Peace & long life.
An Alice in Wonderland reference. I'm hooked.

I left the first two episodes thinking it needs to be funnier. Discovery is a desperate war mission, not an exploratory vessel. For a moment, I thought the transporter might have split this new show with the Orville, where that show got all the humor, but that humor is too dumb. Ep 3 introduces the new roommate, a token nerd, something the Star Trek universe has excelled at in successive series, but she's still not enough comic relief. This show is begging for a cameo by Zachery now.

The big question for next episode is 'will Discovery get infested with tribbles?'

And I want one of those black star fleet badges. I want one now, before anyone else gets one.

One more thing - HP factor 1: Lucius Malfoy
2 random F-bombs, more wake-or-Sulu gays, and Mudd. 

Still enjoying this. Still want it to have more humor. 

I'm a sucker for the Easter eggs. Or maybe they're Horta eggs.

No other DOOMers are watching this, huh? It's like Goodbye Mr. Loser - I'm just babbling in the corner to myself. It's practice for writin' I tell ya.
Didn't comment on this because I just didn't want to pop anyone's balloon.  But if you must ask...

I really didn't like the opening episode, and would have to subscribe to watch anymore.  Static scenes with people just  standing awkwardly around making lame or melodramatic conversation.  The bits of action made no sense to me (that storm's arrival was calculated down to the second, but then suddenly oh my it's arrived far sooner than they thought; and then the fucking starship enters the atmosphere to rescue them, and no, just bloody no!).  The Klingons, like you mentioned, were overly made up.  And even those founts of action just stood around brooding, having a frown contest and also a contest to see who could talk the absolute slowest.  Have to get all that Klingon pronunciation just right, you know, for the ten fans who know Klingon.  Jesus fucking Christ.

No characterization at all.  Everyone just looked entirely wooden.  Maybe over a few episodes they'd loosen up, but--  What a horrible pilot.  Everything about it irked me.  Michelle Khan really needed to punch someone in the nose.  She needs to do that once per episode.  At least.  And kick a tribble.  They should keep tribbles aboard just for her to kick.

Well, now you know the depths of my depraved jadedness....  Sorry.
I'm nobody's pony.
All the Star Trek series pilots sucked except the original and the cartoon (actually Enterprise wasn't as bad as the rest or maybe time has softened my opinion). Discovery is far from perfect for sure - it's so effects heavy, too serious, and yet to be very thought provoking. I suspect you'll hate ep 2. 1 + 2 are somewhat of a false pilot, because the Discovery doesn't come in until ep 3. Maybe check out The Or ills until Discovery ripens some more?
Look, I pay for enough streaming services. The idea that I would pay for another just to see a new Star Trek series is anathema to me. Plus, I haven't seen much of any of the series since TNG and then only for the Borg arc. 

I am not the demographic you are looking for.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Aw man, am I the only trekker here?  Honestly, Discovery has its flaws for sure.  It's really effects heavy, which feels almost anti-trek, and the hardware is the most advanced so far, which is weird because this is chronologically a prequel to the original series SPOILER ALERT Burnam is Spock's older adopted sister END SPOILER.  Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it because it takes on issues of race like only Star Trek ever has and that seems especially poignant right now.  Plus I luv Star Trek.  And I like to watch TV that is titrated in weekly dose installments.  

It really bugs me that the Klingons are now some sort of bastard stepkids of H.R. Giger though.  I was liking the TNG spin on Klingons and my facial hair does exactly that sort of stash & goatee that Klingons rock.  In fact, when I visited the Star Trek experience in Vegas, the Klingon looked at my facial hair and declared 'You have the markings of a warrior!' much to the hilarity of my co-travelers (I was on tour with Phish doing psych consulting).  And when I shave my head, my skull has ridges, not quite the level of Worf's but they are noticeable enough for people to comment regularly.  

Quote:'Star Trek: Discovery' Renewed for Season 2
By Sarah Lewin, Space.com Associate Editor | October 23, 2017 04:16pm ET

"Star Trek: Discovery" will be back for a second season next year, CBS All Access announced today (Oct. 23). The series, which airs on a paid online streaming channel, is six episodes into its 13-episode first season.
"In just six episodes, 'Star Trek: Discovery' has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise," Marc DeBevoise, the president and chief operating officer of CBS interactive, told StarTrek.com in a statement. "This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the 'Star Trek' legacy."
"We are extremely proud of what they've accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series," DeBevoise added.

"Star Trek: Discovery" follows the adventures of Michael Burnham, Starfleet's first mutineer, and her work aboard the pioneering ship Discovery during war with Klingons. It airs Sunday nights on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada, as well as on Mondays on Netflix for the rest of the world. Space.com recaps each episode Monday morning.
Too many shows already on the DVR, and it feels like the only thing I wind up watching these days is the daily horror show that is the news.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Well, I'm just going to babble about this to myself then. 

Truth be told, I've always been more of a trekker than a Star Wars fan - despite the fact that many have nicknamed me Yoda, Spock was far more influential. And I do tend to sell more when I write because that's how I make my living; I'm sure you've all noticed how that effects my posts. What I've always luved about ST is its attitude of diversity. I luv Star Wars too, but the racial issues sully it (Weird aliens live in hives of scum and villainy, Wookiees don't get medals, the first black character is a betrayer, the racial caricatures in ep1, and don't even get me started one rogue one's diverse cast that all dis in the end). Discovery is taking diversity to even greater levels, so much that the alt-right are boycotting the show, which is its strongest endorsement in my book.

E7 was the best so far. Now Discovery feels like Abrams ST movies, a new time arc, updated and fresh, with good throwbacks to the original. E7 brought out the humor, developed the characters, and managed to contain the bulk of the plot in the single ep. Now we're on course and eager to go where no one has gone before. E7 was a classic ST time loop ep, with Rainn Wilson as Mudd doing a Bill Murray Groundhog Day. Quite satisfying. 

Now I really want one of the black federation badges.
ST = Science Fiction in all its many splendoured...things.

SW = Fantasy, sword & sorcery, but really nothing to say.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Female Klingon nipples in heat.  WTeffinF?!?! Did I just see that?  

SPOILER ALERT
STD (and yes, the acronym hasn't been lost on me at all) once again boldly went where no one has gone before with a quick yet graphic Klingon/Human sexual abuse scene.  Harsh.  Like really, really harsh.  
END SPOILER ALERT

The first part of Season 1 just finished and the show won't come back until January.  It's still got my attention, even though I'm not as taken by the main protag Burham anymore.  Fortunately the other characters are starting to flesh out more.  I didn't care for Stamets or the Doctor - too gay at first, not that I'm homophobic - heck I worked for Fred and lived with PPFY - but it was just too heavy handed like 'we're all diverse yo!'  Now that's toned down.  Lorca is becoming more interesting.  Still don't like the new Klingons (especially their nipples).  The old Klingons had cool facial hair, like mine.
After the mid-season break, we're in the Mirror Mirror universe.  We can stay here for the rest of the season.  I have an old jacket with a Imperial patch - must find that again - hope it still fits.  LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!

I didn't know that ST: DS9 went there too for 5 eps (wasn't that into DS9) and missed the ST:E two-parter there.  So much for my trekkie cred.  Blush
So I binged all 5 of the DS9 mirror universe eps. Weak. DS9 didn’t get it at all. I really didn’t care for DS9, didn’t like any of the characters, or the premise. Well, Dax was ok.

I can’t find my mirror universe jacket. I think I pulled it out in the last years. Maybe I tossed it. That would’ve been regrettable. Maybe it slipped into the mirror universe.

Now on to the two ST:E eps.
[Image: ZVCTSTK155.jpg]
Official ST merch is rolling out a whole line of Mirror Universe gear - https://shop.startrek.com/product/ZVCTST...7928_82904 - I find it really amusing that whoever shot this pic couldn't get the hoodie pull-string off the logo.  Dumb ferengi dealer.  

I don't need another hoodie. I need to find my old skool mirror-universe faux m65 jacket and put my old skool Klingon pin on it (it's been on my RM jacket since the ST 50th and I've got good use out of it).