The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Media (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship (/showthread.php?tid=3951)

Pages: 1 2 3

China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship - cranefly - 12-22-2016

Greg?

You looking for a break from the deck and the documentary editing?

Just sayin'.

Quote:The 2017 Orb Media China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship is open for applications!

Win $13,000 + travel to China for cross-cultural mentorship!
This is the first cross-cultural screenwriting mentorship program to develop writers in both English and Chinese languages. Screenwriters worldwide are encouraged to submit original feature film screenplays in English or Chinese promptly for consideration by the final application deadline on February 10th, 2017.
Orb Media Group will select four (4) winners who will each be offered an option fee of at least WGA minimum (up to $13,374) against a six-figure purchase price at WGA scale contingent on production (up to $133,739 each, depending on the final budget of each film). Orb Media Group and its partners will financially back and develop the projects for production and distribution with partners in China and the United States.
Orb Media will also provide the winners with round-trip travel to the Beijing Film Festival in April 2017 to participate in special training and mentorship programs in partnership with the Beijing Film Academy.
Not much of a bloody heads-up, with a Feb. 10, 2017 deadline.

Details at:
China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship

Sometimes... - cranefly - 01-24-2017

Sometimes even a late draft needs a bit of work.
[Image: late_draft_needing_work.jpg]

The Fantastical Waterclocks of Cao Jinsong - cranefly - 01-31-2017

If you're interested, a mature, if not final, draft (after all, there's still ten days to deadline).

As always, all feedback is welcome.

The Fantastical Waterclocks of Cao Jinsong (117 pages)

only fair that i give it a pass - Drunk Monk - 01-31-2017

Well, since you read so much of my stuff, how can I refuse?  I'll try to get back to you ASAP, given your deadline.

RE: China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship - cranefly - 01-31-2017

Thanks.
For what it's worth, here's a photo I found on the web that comes close to the Magistrate as I imagine him.  I think this dude is Korean, but what the hey.
My Magistrate might be a bit older, longer faced, more rugged.  But close.
[Image: 20141403010%20chief%20magistrate%20perhaps.jpg]

so far so good - Drunk Monk - 02-03-2017

I'm halfway through and taking a break. It's engaging so far, but I keep seeing Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast as the waterclocks. Also 'fillip' is a great word I did not know before.

finitoS - Drunk Monk - 02-04-2017

Funny - I thought of the Game of Death nod with the mention of a tall Jabir. Not sure if that will hit home unless there's a yellow jumpsuit with black racing stripes, but I was pleased with myself having foreseen that. Been trying to come up with some more constructive criticism but nothing yet. Maybe I'll have more when we journey to the west. I enjoyed it. Still had a hard time visualizing the waterclocks.
Steampunk transformers?

RE: China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship - cranefly - 02-04-2017

(02-03-2017, 06:36 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote:  Also 'fillip' is a great word I did not know before.
If I'd ever had a boy, I was planning to name him Fillip.
If a girl, Cartwheel.
It's important to make a lasting impression on your offspring so they will never ever forget you.

I'll give some deep thought to visualizing the waterclocks better.  I myself don't have a clear vision.  That could spell trouble, considering that the effin' screenplay is about them.

Into the Pot - cranefly - 02-13-2017

Well, I'm in.  Submitted it on the deadline last Friday after 40 days effort.  I'm thinking screenplays were never meant to be written in that amount of time.

Oh, and there's a parallel Fantasy & Science Fiction screenplay contest going on as well.  So I submitted it there as well.  Multiple submissions to contests are allowed and encouraged, because the wranglers want all the money they can get.

Hard to say what my chances are.  From what I've read, it's a total crap-shoot, because you have to get past the first readers, who are paid next to nothing and don't really give a shit and are just itching for a reason to cast submissions in the trashcan.  So the best submissions seldom make it to the final round, which real professionals evaluate.  Not certain if that hurts or helps my chances.

I'll say something that may sound arrogant but it's not meant to be.  I really don't want to go back to China again.
I'm not nearly as adventurous as I used to be: 
[Image: china_surprise_circa_1998.jpg]
And I feel a lot more vulnerable these days.

But I'll deal with whatever comes my way.  Because if I ever start focusing on what's behind me, that's when I'll see the ninjas closing in.

RE: China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship - Greg - 02-13-2017

If you win, I promise to go in your stead and represent you. It's the least I can do.

Plus, if you want a list of book festivals, my mother can help you.

Hao! - Drunk Monk - 02-13-2017

(02-13-2017, 10:23 AM)cranefly Wrote: ...the first readers, who are paid next to nothing and don't really give a shit and are just itching for a reason to cast submissions in the trashcan.  

Story of my life, bro.  Story of my feckin life.  

Good luck!

Not enough talent in China - Drunk Monk - 03-03-2017

Quote:Why China's Screenwriters Are Thriving
6:00 AM PST 3/3/2017 by Patrick Brzeski

[Image: a_wedding_invitation_still.jpg]Courtesy of China Film Group
'A Wedding Invitation'

Even amid box-office swings, scribes stay in demand, with Chinese screenplays selling for as much as $1 million.
Most Chinese film professionals — both above and below the line — still earn a fraction of what their counterparts in unionized Hollywood pull in. But top Chinese screenwriters are among the select few who are beginning to make Los Angeles-level money.
As Asian dealmakers prepare to descend on Filmart, the annual Hong Kong-based sales market that provides a gateway to China, a number of Beijing studio heads surveyed by THR say it's not uncommon for a script from a pedigreed Chinese writer to sell for half a million dollars or more. One recent script reportedly went for $1 million.
The situation mostly is a matter of supply and demand. China's box office has more than tripled in size during the past five years — from $2.07 billion in 2011 to $6.78 billion in 2016 — and the ferment has inspired a gold rush atmosphere around content creation. But Beijing's previously tiny film community has struggled to keep up with the demand for professional talent and quality product.
Ironically, a slowdown at China's box office in 2016 (growth plummeted to 4.6 percent from 49 percent the year prior) only exacerbated the issue, as most in the industry pointed to low-quality local films as the main cause for the correction, which in turn has upped the appetite for higher-quality screenplays.
"The box office has expanded very quickly, but it takes time for writers to develop professional skills and experience," says Beijing-based screenwriter Shu Huan, who is widely regarded as China's comedy king, thanks to his scripts for two hit road movies: 2013's Lost in Thailand ($197.8 million worldwide gross) and 2015's Lost in Hong Kong ($256.3 million). "Money is not the key resource we lack," he adds. "Currently, we don't have enough experienced talent to meet the demand."
The problem is compounded by a parallel dearth of veteran producers, Beijing insiders say. The box office boom has spawned dozens of new production companies, many of which are run by neophyte film investors.
"There are over a billion people in China, so of course there is no shortage of talented, hungry, young writers," says a local production and acquisitions exec working for a Hollywood studio in Beijing (who wasn't permitted to speak to press on the record). "But many of the people picking projects are totally new to the business, so they don't really have the ability to recognize — or the confidence to support — a promising script from an unknown writer," the exec adds.
Thus, a feeding frenzy has emerged around the small pool of scribes with a hit credit or two to their names, as investors vie for pedigree. Some star writers have even been known to cash in by setting up teams of ghost writers, who help the lead writer churn out more product under their established byline — "It's a seller's market, as the Beijing exec says. (The result of this phenomenon arguably can be seen in last year's box office crunch, which, again, primarily was blamed on the diminished quality of local movies).   

[Image: lost_in_hong_kong_still.jpg]
Courtesy of Well Go USA

Shu's Lost in Hong Kong.

Qin Haiyan, a 33-year-old screenwriter from Beijing, began her career penning art-house fare, such as Zhang Ming's Before Born, which premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2006. In 2013, she was hired to rework the script for A Wedding Invitation, a planned remake of a hit South Korean tearjerker, as producers were struggling to localize its story to suit Chinese tastes. Qin transformed the material into a romantic comedy, and the film became a modest success, earning $31 million at the Chinese box office.
"Since A Wedding Invitation, I've received offers constantly — sometimes a couple of projects within one week," says Qin. "But because A Wedding Invitation was a romantic story, most [studios and producers] want a love story. I have to choose carefully. They want me to repeat, but I'd rather do new things." (She's currently at work on a film and two TV dramas — one food-themed, the other sci-fi — for one of China's Netflix-like streaming video services.)
Qin concedes that it's difficult to get a first script produced — as it has been for every writer, always, everywhere — but she can't imagine a better place than Beijing to start writing for movies. "I have American friends in L.A. studying screenwriting," she says. "They all say they are jealous of the opportunities in China."

[Image: unnamed.jpg]
Jetavana

Shu Huan, China's most commercially successful screenwriter of the past five years.

Solution: All of DOOM should move to China - cranefly - 03-03-2017

Thanks, DM.  Nice to hear that the past year's bust is being blamed on poor product, not on product saturation.

The China-Hollywood Competition results will come in the March 10-24 window.  Yep, they're moving very fast on that.

I also entered three more competitions:

A Science Fiction and Fantasy category screenplay competition through the same organization (Screencraft)

A PAGE International Action and Adventure category screenplay competition

A PAGE International Science Fiction and Fantasy category screenplay competition

Results from those will come months later.

That's about a $150 investment on my part and I'm drawing the line there -- though my inbox keeps filling with new competitions. Boy, have they triangulated a sucker. Maybe I should just go to London and pick up an award already.

Quarter Finalists Just Announced - cranefly - 03-07-2017

Okay, the quarter finalists have just been announced.

This represents the top 20% of submissions, which now move on to the second round.

There's a staggering 164 quarter finalists, which means there must have been around 820 submissions.

That's a lot more than I would have expected.

Of the 164, 18 are Chinese language submissions, and I can see cases among them where the same writer submitted multiple works -- which is allowed.  Odd.  I expected a lot more Chinese language submissions, especially in light of DM's post above.

Anyway, yeah.  I'm still alive.

https://screencraft.org/2017/03/07/orb-media-group-china-hollywood-screenwriting-fellowship-quarter-finalists-announced/

RE: China-Hollywood Screenwriting Fellowship - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 03-07-2017

cranefly, Cranefly, CRANEFLY!!!!!!